Cast Iron Skillet Peach Pie
A twist on pie -- baking in a cast iron skillet adds a depth unlike traditionally baking in a pie dish for deep dish lovers.
Write a review
Pie Pastry Dough
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 Tblsp water (chilled with ice)
- 1 Tblsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
Peach Pie Ingredients
- 2 Tblsp butter, cubed
- 5 cups peaches (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup turminado brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg grated
- 1 Tblsp peach schnapps
- 1 Tblsp cornstarch
For the crust
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor. Run until contents combine into a ball. Wrap dough in saran wrap or place in a zip lock, then freeze for approximately 20 - 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and allow to come to room temperature for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, reserving the second half in the saran wrap or zip lock and set aside. Begin to gently roll out the dough, if still too frozen, wait a few more minutes. Roll out the bottom layer larger than the cast iron skillet adding flour as needed. Roll dough around rolling pin and lay out in the skillet.
- Par bake the crust in a 350 degree oven (layer pinto beans over the crust for par baking). Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- Peal and slice peaches thin into a large bowl. Add all peach pie ingredients for the filling and gently toss and set aside while dough is chilling and baking. Once pie crust is cool, pour in the peach pie filling.
- Roll out the reserved pie crust to cover the top. Slice a design into the topping, then roll the dough over the rolling pin and gently lay over the peach filling to cover the top. Crimp the crust along the entire edge of the skillet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, up the temperature to 375 bake another 20 minutes, if edges that were crimped turn brown, cover with foil while the rest of the crust bakes and turns golden brown.
- The peach schnapps is optional but really adds a depthness to the overall flavor and makes this go from amazing to rapturous.